Deed Poll

How to change your name by Deed Poll

If you want to change any part of your name, e.g. to add, remove, rearrange or change the spelling of one or more names, and get all your official documents and records changed to show a new name e.g. your UK passport, driving licence, bank accounts and credit cards, you will be asked to produce documentary evidence of your name change.  You can change your name at any time and for any reason provided it is not to deceive or defraud or to avoid an obligation,

Change of Name Deed Poll

A Change of Name Deed Poll (or usually simply referred to as a Deed Poll) is a formal, legal document (deed) that enables you to prove to record holders that you have changed your name and it provides you with the required documentary evidence of the name by which you wish to be known.  (Poll is an old English word used to describe the physical appearance of a legal document to visually distinguish between a deed signed by one person and one signed by more than one person.)

A Deed Poll works in the same way a marriage certificate works for a married woman who wishes to take her husband’s surname.  She writes to everyone that has her name records, enclosing her marriage certificate as documentary evidence of her name change, and requests her surname is changed to her husband’s surname.  When changing your name by Deed Poll, you simply do the same enclosing your Deed Poll as documentary evidence of your name change, rather than the marriage certificate.

Note, a Deed Poll can be executed by any British citizen aged 16 years or over living anywhere in the world or by anyone, of any nationality, living in the United Kingdom (parents can apply on behalf of their children who are under 16 years of age).  If you are a foreign national living in the UK, you should check with your country’s high commission or embassy in London to see if a Deed Poll issued by us will be accepted by them to get your passport changed to your new name.  Countries that have a legal system based on the British legal system will usually accept a Deed Poll.

A Deed of Change of Name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are legally committing yourself to:

  • Abandoning the use of your former name;
  • Using your new name only at all times; and
  • Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only.

make an appointment button