Can a child’s father object to a name change?

If you were married when the child was born, fathers have a joint parental responsibility and must agree to the change.  (If the father cannot be found the name can be changed but it must be done via a solicitor.)  If you were not married when the child was born, then the mother alone can change the family name, UNLESS the father has parental responsibility or there is a court restriction in place.

Follow Us

Subscribe and Get News